My Guide Website?
From Berlin: Half-Day Sachsenhausen Memorial Walking Tour580 Reviews
Learn about an important chapter in German history with a guided trip to the former Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, nowadays a memorial.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Berlin:If youʻre booking your trip to Berlin last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Learn about Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp before, during, and after World War II
- Be accompanied by a licensed guide from Berlin to the Memorial Site and back to Berlin
- Discover all about the camp and its various sites with your guide
- Remain in the Memorial after the end of the tour for further exploration at your pace, if desired
- Hear about some of the notable prisoners of the camp
DescriptionTake a trip to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and learn about a somber but important chapter in Germany's history. Constructed in 1936 by the SS, it was built to detain all opposition to the Nazi regime. After meeting your guide in Berlin, hop on a train to Oranienburg, approximately 25 minutes outside of Berlin. Arrive at Sachsenhausen Memorial Site after a 30-minute stroll from the train station. Start your guided experience at the Camp Administration Center, now an on-site museum, but formerly the base for overseeing the Third Reich’s 32 main camps and 1000+ satellite camps. As you tour the site, find out from your guide about what conditions were like inside the camp, the infamous ‘Death March’ ahead of the camp’s liberation in 1945, and how the camp was used by the Soviets afterward. Listen to stories of revolt by Jewish prisoners in 1942, defiance by British prisoners of war, and sabotage by Soviet and Polish prisoners. Hear first-hand about the people there: different prisoner groups, their fates, and familiar names imprisoned in the camp, including Stalin’s son. After the tour, be accompanied by your guide back to the center of Berlin. Sites that might be visited on the tour include the following: • Camp Administration Center (formerly the Concentration Camps Inspectorate) • Station Z • Watchtower • Commandant's House • Jewish Barracks • Punishment Cells • Pathology Laboratory • Infirmary • Special Camp 1/7 • SS Training Camp • Gallows
IncludesLicensed guide Entrance to the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial Site Guided tour of the camp 2-euro donation to the camp memorial
- • Public transport tickets need to be bought in advance. A 1-day ABC zone ticket is needed, costing approximately 9.60 euros • Come prepared to walk — this activity entails a high amount of walking • The tour runs in all weathers, so please dress accordingly • The tour is wheelchair accessible, but please be aware of the following: Customers need to use public transport to get to Oranienburg. There’s a 30-minute walk from Oranienburg train station to the Memorial Site. Additionally, the ground at the site can get very muddy when it rains and in winter