My Guide Website?
Berlin Insider's Cold War Walking Tour153 Reviews
Get an insider’s look at the Cold War on a walking tour around Berlin. Discover how it came about, what life was like behind the wall, how it crumbled down, and much more on a fascinating journey into one of the most intriguing episodes in history.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Berlin:If youʻre booking your trip to Berlin last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Get an insider's glimpse at the history of the Cold War in Berlin
- Learn about the life behind the Berlin wall and retrace the route of where the wall once stood
- Visit the Palace of tears (Tränenpalast) and hear why it was important during the cold war
- See hidden areas of former death strips and espionage points and hear about incredible escape attempts from the GDR
- Travel on one of the old West Berlin 'ghost train's' on your tour.
DescriptionFollow the ghost-like trail of the death strip and wall, and discover everything there is to know about the Cold War on a fascinating walking tour around Berlin. Learn about where the cold war powers formerly confronted each other, the routines and duties of border guards, Soviet and allied forces, the Stasi and the CIA. Get an extraordinary insight into what it was like to live in the eastern bloc, and hear about failed escapes, and how the border command was ordered to shoot to kill anyone who would dare attempt the heinous crime of emigration, known as “flight from the Republic.” Learn about how the M16 and the CIA tunnelled under the Wall into the Soviet Zone and tapped into the Red Army’s secret communications, about the methods used by Stasi to control the East German population, and what happened to the leaders of the GDR when the wall fell. Discuss the state of the present German society and the plight of former East Germans. Learn about the changes that German society went through, from shopping to daily life and work, and what the future holds. Explore sites such as ghost stations, former guard towers, and hidden areas of the death strip, espionage points of the CIA and KGB, and much more. The tour finishes at Ruschestraße 103.
Includes3-hour tour with profesional English-speaking guide
- The tour proceeds regardless of the weather
- Comfortable shoes are recommended as the tour involves a bit of walking