My Guide Website?
Berlin: App-Based Audio Guide of Former East Berlin
Marvel at over four centuries of architecture in East Berlin's historical heart with this audio guide app. Stroll through former East Berlin, taking in its sights as you go.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Berlin:If youʻre booking your trip to Berlin last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Find traces of the city’s days as the capital of the German Empire
- Hear from the producer, Jo Eckardt, founder of a local tour company
- Do it all in 75 minutes or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionFormer East Berlin’s mix of architecture paints a picture of its fascinating history across different eras. It’s here that you’ll see remnants of the 17th-century baroque town and the Communist era, find traces of the city’s days as capital of the German Empire, and witness the devastation left by the World Wars. On this walking tour, you’ll also see newer buildings created by the architects who, once again, transformed East Berlin and the way the world saw it. Starting at Checkpoint Charlie, you’ll make your way down Friedrichstraße and into the heart of the historic city. There, I’ll share the stories behind the area’s architectural treasures, like Gendarmenmarkt Square and Unter den Linden, the famous boulevard. I’ll tell you why the French community was given the rights to use the Französischer Dom (French Dome church) for all eternity. And I’ll show you where to find the spa and pool in Hotel de Rome, once a state bank. You’ll also hear about some of the square’s famous former residents including writer and philosopher Moses Mendelssohn, and E.T.A. Hoffmann, author of The Sandman. On the way from picturesque Bebelplatz Square to Museum Island’s Lustgarten, where our tour ends, I’ll point out various monuments and memorials, including: • The Friedrich Schiller monument in front of the Konzerthaus Berlin concert hall • Micha Ullman’s Empty Library, also known as the Book Burning Memorial, which commemorates the day Nazis burned books by Jewish and communist authors • A statue of Frederic II on his horse in front of the buildings which were commissioned by the king and later transformed into Berlin’s first university, the Humboldt University • Heinrich Heine Denkmal (Heinrich Heine statue), a famous German poet and satirical writer On this tour, you’ll also have a chance to: • See where Angela Merkel used to live on Museum Island when she was Chancellor • Photograph some of the most beautiful buildings in all of Europe • Discover a modern pieta by Käthe Kollwitz, exposed to rain and snow and housed in the Neue Wache (New Guard House) • Learn about the oldest free-standing opera house in the world, the Berlin State Opera • Take in the works of famous architects like the German Historical Museum by I.M. Pei, the James Simon Gallery by David Chipperfield, and the Altes Museum (Old Museum) by Friedrich Schinkel • Browse the selection of delicious chocolates at Rausch Chocolate Store • Hear about the Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) and the Humboldt Forum, where the Hohenzollern Palace used to be So have your cameras ready, and join me on a tour that’ll surely make you fall in love with Berlin.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap App for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English