My Guide Website?
African Quarter Historical Guided Walking Tour
Swakopmunder Street https://www.myguideberlin.com/events/african-quarter-historical-guided-walking-tour
Berlin: African Quarter Historical Guided Walking Tour Make Enquiry
- Step back in time as you explore the African Quarter and its facinating history
- Find out why the streets in Wedding are named after African cities or countries
- Uncover how the industrial revolution impacted German international relations
- Experience a change of perspective by discussing the impact of past events
- Get to know the vibrant African Quarter in the Wedding district like a local
DescriptionUnderstand the history of relations between African nations and Germany on this guided walking tour in the African quarter. Gain insights into the impact that this history has had on the Wedding district in Berlin. Meet your guide at the corner of Müllerstraße and Afrikanische street. Listen to a short induction that includes general information about the African quarter. Find out the size of this quarter and get some data on the demographic makeup of the area. View a map of the area to understand exactly where you are in Berlin. Begin your walking tour and hear some facinating historical facts. Uncover the meaning behind street names and the history behind them. Discover what happened in the 1900s between Germany and different African nations. Head to Swakopmunder street to see a map of the three areas in Africa that were colonized by Germany. Discuss the name Swakopmund and why a city in Namibia still carries this name today. Continue to Petersallee to learn about Carl Peters activities in East Africa. Hear stories about how how Gustav Nachtigal and Adolf Lüderitz worked together during the time of colonialism. Finally, reach Kongostrasse where your guide will let you know about the Congo Conference and its significant impacts. Finish your tour at the Rehberge underground station where you can see a memorial plaque and discuss the topics from the tour.
IncludesWalking tour Guide Water on warm days
- This tour takes place rain or shine